Sunday, August 31, 2008

Great Resources for Writers

Day 31 has arrived! I didn't think I'd make it, but I did! Thirty-one straight days of blogging from someone who couldn't imagine even creating a blog. I think I squeezed a year's worth of mistakes into a single month. Not a bad start.

I won't be blogging every day now that the challenge is over, but I'll be here several times a week bringing news of good books, writing techniques, etc. etc. If there is something in particular you'd like to read about, please use the comment link below to make a request.

I don't want to end the month without thanking Dani Greer and the other blog-a-dayers for this wonderful experience. Many of their blogs have landed in my list of favorite blogs.

Have you noticed my list of favorite blog sites off to the right? Ever wonder why they are my favorites? Many are in the list because they provide great advice and tips to authors.

Some, like Velda Brotherton offer great tips on the process of writing and tips to improve writing. Today's post is about including the senses in your scenes.

Teagan Oliver offers other views on writing. Recently she tooks us on a tour of the hero's journey.

LJ Sellers, who is a tallented writer and editor, offers tips on both writing and editing. Today she shares some simple edits that make for stronger, clearer storytelling.

Over at BlogBookTours, Dani Greer works hard to help us create and maintain effective blogs and to use those blogs to market our books.

Helen Ginger, besides having great taste in blog page designs, provides all sorts of tips from writing to marketing. She often hosts guest bloggers with expertise in specific areas.

Some sites are a mixed bag. Pauline Baird Jones has a blog and website that offer much helpful information for both readers and writers.

I learn something everytime I visit these sites. If you are interested in writing or the business of writing, you may want to check them out too.

I've learned quite a bit from the August blog-a-day challenge and plan to put much of it to work immediately. I'm a member of the Houston writing group, The Final Twist. We publish an annual anthology of mystery stories. This year's book, A Death in Texas, is due out October 10. To celebrate, the sixteen authors represented in A Death in Texas will use The Final Twist's group blog to showcase what the group has to offer. Every day in September a different author will blog about writing, the business of writing, or simply provide a sample story. (A blog a day - sound familiar?) This will all lead up to the official release party at Katy Budget Books in Houston on October 10, 2008.

Hope to see you at the blog and KBB.

1 comment:

Helen Ginger said...

Thank you for the shout out Charlotte -- and the recommendation. This blog every day challenge has been ... er... challenging, yet very rewarding. I've learned that it isn't all that difficult to post every day and I've met some really great people by visiting so many other blogs!

I'm looking forward to the Final Twist group blog.