Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Writing Resolutions

2009 Goals - writing

Welcome to the first Monday of 2009! I thoroughly enjoyed a much needed break during the holidays and hope you found what you needed as well.

I've been reading much lately about resolutions and goals for the new year. I must confess, I gave up on resolutions a long time ago. Failing in the first month simply became too predictable and monotonous. A few years ago, as I was writing the dreaded annual goals for my employer, it occured to me that I could use the technique of setting goals in other parts of my life - like writing. Since then, I've done a pretty good job of creating goals for each part of my life (Yes - I do compartmentalize.) and sticking to the goals. The trick seems to be noting a list of smaller steps I can take to support the larger goal - then applying a calendar to the smaller steps. It works for me.

Here's my list of 2009 writing goals. I even included some of the steps for the first goal, so you can see for yourself what a geek I am.

1. Be a good steward of The Final Twist Writers group; find a way to leave it better than I found it. (My stretch goal - how do you improve something that is so good already?)

a) Produce and publish monthly meeting agenda at least 1 week before the meetings so members can prepare (every month include something I have't seen done at meetings before)

b) Create and participate in critique groups for the short story anthology entries (establish in Jan for meetings Jan - Mar)

c) Thoroughly prepare for the TLA conference; volunteer my time to contribute to conference succuss (prep Jan - Mar, confernce in Apr)

d) Encourage group blogging to establish a base from which to market the 2009 anthology


2. Write - every week - 2000-4000 words. With Mark, complete the fist draft of The Golden Key by March 31. (A weenie goal, I know)

3. Market - schedule at least 4 book signings and 1 blog book tour in the first quarter and again in the 3rd quarter

4. Blog - 3 times a week on Char's book reviews, 1 time per month at TFT, 1 time per month at LL Dreamspell, 2 times per month at Blood RedPencil

5. Write some more - draft Texas chocolate story by 3rd Saturday in January so it is ready for the first meeting of the South review group; rewrite the story by then3rd Saturday of February and polish by 3rd Saturday of March

6. Do a better job at NaNo than the lame attempt this year - try remembering to update your word count before the deadline.

Guess I better stop goofing off and start writing...

Denise Robbins' and FemmesFatales' blogs also have information on setting annual goals for writing. Take a look.

What are your writing goals this year?

No comments: